nyc Crack Cocaine Possession & Trafficking Lawyers
If you’ve been arrested in New York City for crack cocaine possession or even trafficking, you need to know the exact charges you’ll be facing. Here’s how the law works and how it could affect you.
Crack Cocaine Possession in NYC: Know the Law
Article 220 of the New York penal code sets out the law regarding the possession of controlled substances, such as crack cocaine. Here are the possible charges:
- Possession of crack cocaine in the seventh degree: If you are arrested for possessing less than 500mg of crack cocaine, you will face charges of criminal possession in the seventh degree. This is a class A misdemeanor, and you could face up to a year in jail if convicted.
- Possession of crack cocaine in the fifth degree: Being arrested and charged with possessing 500mg or more of crack cocaine is a class D felony. This could carry a sentence of one to two-and-a-half years in prison, or even up to four years if you have previous convictions.
- Possession of crack cocaine in the fouth degree: If you are arrested for possessing 1/8 of an ounce or more of crack cocaine, you could face up to five-and-a-half years in prison, or even up to nine years if you have previous convictions. This is a class C felony.
- Possession of crack cocaine in the third degree: If you are arrested for possessing 1/2 of an ounce or more of crack cocaine, this is a class B felony. You could face up to nine years in prison if this is your first offense. For a second offense, you could face up to 12 years in prison. If this is your third offense, you could face up to 15 years in prison.
- Possession of crack cocaine in the second degree: Possessing four ounces or more of crack cocaine is a class A-II felony. If convicted, you could face up to ten years in prison. If this is your second offense, you could face a prison term of up to 14 years.
- Possession of crack cocaine in the first degree: If you are arrested for possessing eight ounces or more of crack cocaine, you will be charged with a class A-I felony. This can carry a prison sentence of up to 20 years. For a second offense, you could face up to 24 years in prison, and for a third offense, you could face up to 30 years in prison.
With all these charges, you may also face significant fines, which will increase based on the class of felony with which you have been charged.
Charges for Selling or Trafficking Crack Cocaine in New York State
Selling a controlled substance, such as crack cocaine, is a felony under Article 220 (sections 31 to 44). Depending on the amount sold, as well as where it is sold, you could face fines and significant jail time. Trafficking crack cocaine is also a crime under Article 220 (section 77) of the code. A person who makes a profit of at least $75,000 from the sale of controlled substances during a period of 12 months or less will be charged with operating as a major trafficker. This is a class A-1 felony, and could carry a sentence of up to life in prison and fines of up to $100,000.
Do You Need a Crack Cocaine Possession and Trafficking Lawyer in NYC?
Drug possession and trafficking charges are a serious matter; if you are charged with crack cocaine possession or even trafficking, you could face time in jail or prison, and be stuck with a criminal record. This could severely limit your career opportunities and affect some of your civil rights. It’s vital that you look for a lawyer to provide you with assistance as soon as possible after your arrest. They will learn everything they can about the circumstances of your case, defend you in court, and be your ally during the trial process. Having a good lawyer on your side could help you reduce your sentence or any associated fines. Depending on any past criminal history (and the discretion of the courts), your lawyer may be able to help you work through the drug treatment courts to reduce your sentence.
How Our Law Firm Can Help You
If you’re facing charges of crack cocaine possession and trafficking in New York City, our law firm can provide you with assistance and advice. We offer free consultations 24/7, so no matter when you need us, someone will always be there to pick up the phone. Call us today on 888-685-3602 for more information.
May 17, 2018
Spodek Law is a great firm. They are super pragmatic